Boston Cream Cupcakes

One evening, very recently, I was in the car and a commercial for Dunkin Donuts came on the radio.  They mentioned Boston cream donuts, which are Rob’s favorite.  And I swear to you, God spoke to me.  He said “Jen.  Vanilla cupcakes.  Vanilla pudding.  Ganache.  Boston Cream Cupcakes.  Make this happen.”

I turned to Rob and informed him of my divine inspiration.  He agreed that I needed to make this happen.

And so here they are, my beautiful readers.  What I promised you in yesterday’s homemade pudding post.  The greatest invention of the 21st century.  And yes, I’m aware that I didn’t really invent them, and that they were most likely dreamed up in the previous century.

Just…humor me.  Okay?

Anyway, back to the star of the show: Boston Cream Cupcakes.

Lovely.

The first step, of course, is the cupcakes.  I’m gonna make a confession here: I used a box mix.  I know! I know! The woman makes her own pudding but uses boxed cake mix, you’re thinking.  And I don’t blame you.  But that’s exactly why I went with a mix – I’d already used up my from-scratch mojo on the pudding.  I couldn’t bring myself to measure ingredients for cupcakes as well.  Either way, they were delicious.  Don’t judge me.

The cupcakes were very, very cool when it was time for the filling.  I have a cake decorator so I used that.  I’m sure you could use a piping bag with a tip, or that you could even cut a hole into the cupcake and use a freezer bag with the tip snipped off.  Whichever method you use to fill, remember this: Go slowly.  Keep an eye out.  You’ll see the cupcake expand a bit, but you don’t want it to expand too much.  Or else you’ll end up with a big ol’ exploded cupcake.

Not that I’d know from experience.  Or anything.

Oh, and if you attempt to take a picture of the process, make sure it’s out of focus and blurry.

If you can, force an unsuspecting younger sibling or one of your offspring to help you with this step.  Make sure they’re unenthusiastic and only doing it to shut you up.  Ahem.  Stephanie and Stephen.  Ahem.

Once the filling o’ the cupcakes is complete, time for the best part of Boston cream anything: Chocolate.  In this case, ganache.

Making ganache is easier than falling off a log, which makes it all the more dangerous.  Ganache is nothing more than chocolate melted into heavy cream.  That’s it.  Nothing fancy.  But so divine.  One thing to remember: If you’re using ganache, let it cool a little before you do.  It will thicken up a bit and be less likely to slide right off the cupcake and onto whatever the cupcake is sitting on.

I just poured it right on with a big spoon – and I wasn’t stingy, baby.

One more tip: If you can stand the wait, pop these precious little babies into the fridge so everything sets up.  The chocolate gets firm and the cake sets up around the pudding and makes it less likely to ooze out everywhere on that first bite.  And that is a good, good thing.

If you don’t want to wait, though, just dive right on in.  I don’t possess the willpower, either.

How. beautiful. is. THAT?

I pass these cupcakes on to you, my dear friends.  Please make them.  Cut corners all over the place.  Make instant pudding, heat up canned frosting in the microwave and pour it on top, I don’t even care.  Just make this happen somehow.  You’ll be a much happier person as a result.

Oh, and stay tuned – tomorrow I’ll be featuring my first guest poster ever, and introducing a new feature.  I hope you’ll join me!

Sharing with Designs by Gollum, Simply Sweet HomeTidy Mom, 504 Main, A Southern Fairytale & All The Small Stuff - come check out all the other awesome links!

OH I so want that cupcake. Cupcakes are a little piece of heaven to me. …and those look “DIVINE”
YUMMY!

There’s two left. You can come get you one if you promise to not try to kiss me or anything ;-)

Okay, those are a thing of beauty. I’ve never attempted anything like this before, but I feel this is a must. Thanks for sharing!

Okay, I thought you won me over with the pudding recipe, but this sealed the deal. LOVE!

and you changed up the boxed recipe by adding milk… that totally counts as making it from scratch, no?

You know what, I think you’re right. I’m totally calling it “my” recipe for cupcakes now! ;-) Actually that is what my husband’s grandmother used to do so I just had to try it because she was an outstanding baker, or so I’ve been told. Of course I’ve been told that she used to use TWO box mixes for ONE cake…gee, is that why her cakes “rose” so high? ;-)

When I saw your intro, I thought, “I never have really understood what ganache is”.

Thanks for the clarification! :)

Ooh, spring break next week and I will have a little extra help. Gosh…I don’t think my thighs will survive!

It’s not so much my thighs that worry me – it’s the pants that have to cover them. Poor pants.

Are you flippin’ kidding me? How amazingly awesome are these babies? Can I tell you that I could just hug you for using a boxed cake mix? Ain’t no shame in our game. I will never judge you for using a boxed cake mix. They are great and taste good and heck, you totally dressed it up and made it look purty. Got this one bookmarked, fo shizzle! (For the record, I know Snoop Dogg talk stopped like 2 years ago, but I can’t stop my mizzle dizzle from talking this way).

LOL congratulations, you win the award for funniest comment today! Your prize is my adoration. You’re welcome. ;-)

These look divine, and I am going to try this over the weekend. I have a pastry gun that I use for cheese straws that is ancient, but it has different tips and I think it will get the job done. My husband is going to go nuts over these.

Thanks a bunch!

Ellen

I made them a few years ago for a cupcake challenge on a blog. Yours look wonderful! I did buy the reverse choc cream donuts from DD. They were good.
Beautiful cupcake and thanks for the pudding recipe too. My mom always made homemade pudding. Her rice pudding was our favorite!
Nice to meet you, going to look for your follower sign up!

These look amazing! I love ganache on a cupcake… even more than frosting. I might try these this weekend. Thank you for sharing!

Oh. My. God. Amazing. I don’t judge you for anything, no I don’t. Anyone who can make something like that is divine. I wish I had godly inspiration like that. The only words I’m hearing are: sleep. and eat.

Oh my gosh. This looks like all kinds of yummy. Love Boston Cream pie. I am bookmarking this for our next family get together.

And I adore making ganache. And eating the extra!

These are so yummy looking and you got the filling in perfectly. I made my sticky toffee pudding into cupcakes for my vets office and squeezed the filling in with a pastry bag. I wondered on every one if I got enough toffee not wanting anyone to be cheated. I even contemplated putting them on my scale for a weight to see if I got enough in. I love my scale!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love these cupcakes, but didn’t even get one, so I need to make them again. I joined you and will see what you are cooking and baking. Thanks for visiting me andi

Hmmm, wonder what these would be like with chocolate cupcakes… (Obviously not Boston Cream then!)