Pasta with Quick Tomato Sauce

A long time ago, I made up my own recipe for a quick pasta sauce.  I don’t remember how this recipe was born, exactly – I’m sure it was a mixture of creativity, stuff in the fridge and a hardcore craving for pasta.

Since then I’ve prepared one variation after another literally hundreds of times.  It’s the sort of recipe you can change up according to the ingredients you have on hand.  I eat far too much of it.  I can admit my faults.

At the time I last made this, I had the great trifecta on hand: Tomatoes, mozzarella and fresh basil.  Talk about a match made in heaven, and my personal favorite flavor combination.

I also had black olives, which worked because I’ll put them in just about anything.  I’ve been known to eat handfuls of them at a time.  I might need therapy.

If I had spinach or mushrooms I’d have added them as well.  Lemon juice, white wine, any other fresh herbs…let your creativity run wild.

This sauce is such a wonder that unless you’re cooking fresh pasta or something thin like angel hair, you can prepare it in the time it takes the pasta to cook!

The fresh basil wilts when tossed with the hot pasta, and its scent is released.  It mingles with the garlic and tomatoes and creates a cloud of temptation which hangs in the air and begs you to take a taste.  And let’s not even talk about how the mozzarella starts to melt and fuse itself with the pasta.  Shaved Parmesan? Be still my heart.

Go ahead.  Try it for yourself.  And love this child of our combined imaginations.

Sharing with 33 Shades of Green, Balancing Beauty & Bedlam and All The Small Stuff – come check out all the mouthwatering goodness!

This looks really good and so simple. I buy a lotta tomatoes, and I usually eat them up with no problem. But this is a great way to use a bunch of them up if I need to get to them in a hurry. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you – it always means so much to hear that, since I’m always so unsure of them. :)

My mouth is watering looking at this. So fresh looking. Ahhh! I can only imagine! I WILL be doing this one for me :) My hubby is not a fan of the black olives, but I LOVE THEM!!!!

Shaved parm totally has a different appeal than grated, doesn’t it?

I love that you have the ability to just create with what’s in the fridge. We make our own sauce, but with canned san marzano. Never in my wildest dreams would I think about grabbing a package of grape tomatoes!

This looks fantastic! I love making fresh, homemade sauces. Oh, the thought of melted mozzarella over pasta right now…yum!

Came over for #CommentHour and so glad I did! I want to make pasta this weekend and was looking for something different…found it! Thank you. I will have to let you know how it comes out ♥

oooo thanks for this! Pasta with red sauce is one of the few things DD will actually eat!

stopping by way late from the comment hour!

I clicked on this post because I saw the pasta and tomatoes in a picture on your sidebar. and YUM. I wish my hub wasn’t so picky — although I might just make this on my own for lunches.

Oh, this is just for me! The olives and fresh tomatoes would never make it past Rob’s lips.