Secret Recipe Club: Judee’s Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara

I’m so, so happy to be sharing this recipe with you today.  See, I’m part of The Secret Recipe Club – where a bunch of food bloggers get together and are assigned a blog from which to pick a recipe and recreate it for themselves.  Of course, it’s all a secret until the big reveal.

And today’s the big reveal for my group! Hooray!

I was assigned Judee’s Gluten Free A-Z Blog – a blog full of healthy, fresh recipes which (let’s not kid here) I need to spend a lot more time focusing on.  After delving through many recipes I found one which immediately piqued my interest: A fresh, simple tomato sauce.  As we all know, I’m a big fan of pasta.  Big.  And I’m always looking for new ways to dress it.

So I tried this recipe, slightly adapted, and let me tell you: It’s ah-maaaaaazing.  Like, “I wanted to eat it with a spoon right there on the spot” amazing.  The addition of raisins to add natural sweetness is brilliant, and brightens things up beautifully.  I can see using it as a spread on sandwiches or on top of fish, or paired with mozzarella as a twist on caprese salad.

Or, as I said, straight off a spoon.

I couldn’t find sun-dried tomatoes at the store (seriously), so I took a can of diced tomatoes and roasted them in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  It really intensified the flavor.

I also didn’t have fresh basil (seriously, my store sucks sometimes) so I used basil paste instead.  Sometimes you just have to work with what you’ve got, right?

Once the sauce was finished whizzing around in the processor, I tossed it with hot pasta and let the residual heat warm everything up.  Judee’s suggestion, and I think this is brilliant, is using spiral-sliced zucchini instead of pasta.  In the past I’ve actually used a vegetable peeler to peel thin “strands” off of yellow squash and you know what? It was really good!

But in this instance, I was in the mood for p-a-s-t-a.

Add a little fresh grated parm and voila! Heaven.

Thanks, Judee, for this terrific recipe!

If you’re interested in learning more about the Secret Recipe Club, check it out here! I’m already looking forward to next month’s assignment.

Sharing with This Chick Cooks, The Lady Behind The Curtain, The King’s Court IV, Passionately Artistic, Pinch of This, That and the Other, Ginger Snap Crafts, Lil’ Luna, Blue Cricket Design, Sugar and Dots, My Girlish Whims, Hugs and Cookies, What Allie’s Making Now, A Glimpse Inside, The 36th Avenue, Momnivore’s Dilemma, Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, A Creative Princess, Delightful Order, It’s A Keeper, Frugalicious Me, Designs by Gollum, Mangoes and Chutney, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating, Creation Corner, Simply Sweet Home, 504 Main, Tidy Mom, Balancing Beauty and Bedlam, All The Small Stuff, 33 Shades of Green, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Jam Hands, Chef In Training, Blessed With Grace, Sugar Bee Crafts, All Thingz Related, Tip Junkie, Nap Time Creations, The Blackberry Vine, Dr. Laura’s Adventures, Mandy’s Recipe Box, For The Love of Blogs, It’s a Blog Party, Nothing But Country, Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Permanent Posies, The Kurtz Corner, From Mess Hall to Bistro, Not Just a Housewife, New Nostalgia

How yummy this sounds and how good it looks. Judee has great recipes and you have done her proud, I am sure. You, sure, sold me on this recipe.

Thanks! Yes, I was really impressed with Judee’s blog and her commitment to health and good eating. I need to take a page or two from her philosophy, for sure!

It’s so fun to meet new bloggers in this way – to really explore their work and pick what you like best for your own blog. And it’s not easy when you get assigned a blog full of great stuff!

Jen,
What a fabulous reveiw of my recipe. Thanks so much, and I’m glad you enjoyed the marinara sauce on your pasta. Your pictures are so amazing, they make me want to eat some right now.

I love your sauce so much! I just had some for lunch and YUM! :) Thank you for your kind, kind words.

That sauce looks fierce! I love how you improvised when you didn’t have or couldn’t find ingredients, like roasting the diced tomatoes and using basil paste. OMG, I wish I could have a plate of that now! Beautifully done and what a great SRC pick!

Thanks! Yeah, I was disheartened when I couldn’t find everything I needed, for sure. But I love basil paste – it stays good for so long in the fridge, too. It’s good to use in the colder months for sure. :)

It’s so easy but packs such a punch, I just love it. Now I’m thinking of other things to add to it – maybe spinach, or a dash of red pepper, or whatever I happen to have laying around.

I’ll be honest, I was skeptical at first on the raisins. But they’re genius! I’ll come over and check you out. :)

Raisins and tomato… That is new for me! I bet it was a good sweet sauce. Looks like it definitely :)
It is my first month in SRC and I really like what everyone come up with and how nice everyone is! :)

Everyone IS so nice! I do like a good sweet sauce every so often – with the parmesan cheese it works so well. Sweet and salty. Mmmm…!

Oh, they really add so much. More than just plain sugar to cut any tartness/acidity from the tomatoes. SO good! Good luck fooling everyone! ;)

This looks fantastic! Love the idea of adding golden raisins…I really enjoy them in savory dishes and they sound really great here! :)

Oh, so stinking good, I can’t even tell you. The sweetness of the raisins plus the saltiness of the cheese on top (optional of course but I can’t do without it!) and the richness of the olive oil? Unreal. :)

Hi Jen,
What a great Marinara! All the other entries from the SRC look amazing. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

I love SRC! Such a great idea, and the group is always expanding it seems!

I’ll be back this week for sure!

I’ve always been nervous to make my own marinara, but this sounds very good, and doable!

Thanks for linking up with Friday Food on MomTrends.com!

~Shannon (Food Channel Editor @ MomTrends)

Thanks for hosting such a great party, so full of inspiration! I look forward to visiting again this week.

It’s very good – my new favorite use for it is just spread on a thick slice of fresh bread. Be still my heart, I’m telling you! I hope you enjoy it. :)

Oooooh THAT sounds interesting! Do you use a food dehydrator or do you have your own method?