Drunken Noodles

Drunken Noodles

Sometimes I come up with pretty good ideas when it comes to cooking.  Remember when I dreamed up those Boston cream cupcakes? Yeah.  Sometimes I think I’m a genius.

This is another one of those bits of brilliance.  See, a few months ago Rob and I started eating Thai food.  I’ve talked about it on Twitter a lot, especially when it comes to my undying devotion to pad thai.

Oh, pad thai, how I love thee…

Rob, on the other hand, prefers drunken noodles.  Why are they called drunken noodles, you ask? The name allegedly refers to the amount you have to drink in order to cool your mouth off after all the spiciness.

The thing is, a person can only afford but so much takeout.  And since we’re trying to, ya know, be more responsible with our money (especially our food budget), I figured that it might not be a bad idea to try to recreate drunken noodles in my own kitchen.

But then I made a huge rookie mistake, one which I will not let you make: I didn’t monitor the spice levels as I went along.  In fact I was in such a hurry to get everything finished at the same time (all four burners and the oven were going at once) that I just sorta plopped everything in the pan and hoped for the best.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Two glasses of milk later, I managed to get through this dish.  Drunken noodles, indeed.

Drunken Noodles

The best part is, I only used one chili pepper – the original recipe called for twice that much! Eek! Unfathomable.  You could definitely stick to only half of one pepper (or none, and just use more chili sauce).

Speaking of the chili pepper, here’s a tip: You might want to wear gloves while chopping it up. Because no matter how careful you are about washing your hands, you may still feel as though you dipped your fingers in boiling water hours after the meal is finished and the kitchen cleaned.

I can’t lie to you.  It was agony.

But! The result is pure deliciousness.  It may not be the most authentic version you can find, but Rob said that in terms of flavor it tasted just like what he gets from the restaurant.

And even though our mouths were burning with the heat of a thousand suns, we kept eating.  So that’s gotta say something!

Another tip: If you’ve never used fish sauce, I’m here to tell you that it’s called fish sauce for a reason.  It smells exactly like fish.  Surprise! It may be a turn off at first, but let me assure you, it really adds to the finished product.  So don’t be all “Eww, Jen steered me wrong!” when you open the bottle, okay?

Have you ever eaten Thai food? What’s your favorite dish?

Sharing with The Southern Institute, Mad in Crafts, Home Savvy A to Z, Everything Under The Moon, Delightfully Dowling, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, Making The World Cuter, A Southern Fairytale, It’s So Very Cheri, C.R.A.F.T., CraftoManiac, Add A Pinch, Mrs. Happy Homemaker, Skip To My Lou, The Girl CreativeRaising 4 PrincessesLadybug BlessingsToday’s Creative BlogAll The Small StuffGiggles Glitz and GlamMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Balancing Beauty & Bedlam, Home Stories A to Z, Hope StudiosNot Just a HousewifeI’m Topsy TurvyA Bowl Full of LemonsSugar Bee CraftsChef in TrainingThe Kurtz CornerFunky Polkadot Giraffe33 Shades of GreenConfessions of a Stay At Home MommyTip Junkie, Reasons to Skip The HouseworkLady Behind the CurtainNewlywedsTrendy TreehouseJunk In Their TrunkThis Chick Cooks, Somewhat Simple, Bear Rabbit Bear, A Little NoshIt’s a KeeperDelightful OrderFireflies and Jellybeans, Rattlebridge Farm, Simply Sweet Home5o4 MainTidy MomOne Artsy MamaBlissful and DomesticWhipper BerryDwell on Joy, 5 Days 5 WaysThe Country CookJennifer Cooks, Marriage From Scratch

Thanks! :) I wish I had the ability to take photos right after making stuff rather than the next day, aka when there’s light. It never looks quite as good!

Thanks! I can’t wait to try it without burning my mouth off and feeling like my hands have third degree burns. ;)

I’m a devoted slave to anything Thai. Well, no I’m not, I’m actually quite picky. Noodles, chicken, sauce – yeah, this is right up my alley!

Ha! Trust me, our palettes are not very advanced when it comes to Thai. :) But I’d happily live off this and pad thai for the rest of my life either way.

I love thee, Pad Thai too! Yours looks so yummy. I’m salivating. Thanks for sharing this. Now I can try one of my favorite dishes and not have to pay $12.00 for it. :-))

Seriously, it’s a crime to pay that much! That’s about as much as pad thai is around here too. Granted, it’s akin to what I imagine angels must eat, but still…

i have only just discovered my love of the understated pad thai, and of course it is more understated after previously loving the spicy noodle and the drunken noodle dishes! this looks soo deelish!

Oh, definitely! It was horrible, I can’t imagine how it would hurt a baby’s skin.

This looks delish! I adore Thai food and my very favorite remains Shrimp Pad Thai and when I am too poor to spring for the extra $3 I order the Pork Pad Thai! I think I really just have a fondness for chili sauce. I often make Pad Thai at home but will certainly give this a try.

You make pad thai at home? Do you think you could send me a recipe? I would love to try it myself. :)

Ooh, this sounds like something my hubby would love! I like moderate spice, but he loves the really spicy stuff. He’s a whole pepper kinda guy. :)

Wow! Good for him! I can’t say I’ve ever wanted to go that far…though I sorta felt like I did when I ate this! Talk about overkill…glad I had the milk to tame the heat. ;)

I often wondered the same thing, then the explanation was included with the recipe I followed. Of course the dish really lived up to its name, thanks to me blindly following the recipe. ;)

I always have to make something else for my father-in-law when I cook spicy food. I try to have spare meals in the freezer just in case. ;)

Designs by gollum

Love these noodles! It’s supposed to rain tomorrow, and your recipe will be warm and delicious! Thank you for posting the recipe to Foodie Friday!

I am a thai lover too and am trying to figure out how to get restaurant level spiciness at home. I just made a noodle dish and I swear i used a cup of sri racha and a cup of sambal oelek for two people, and we are unscathed. We also just tried a “level 8″ spicy pad thai in vegas and it was like, mild. I think I am destroying my tastebuds or something, do you have any recommendations over using the chili pastes and stuff? Fresh peppers work best? and what kinds?

Wow – you’re insane! But I mean that in the nicest way possible. :) Anyway, I used an Anaheim chili for this and it did burn my skin and make my eyes burn as I was chopping it – maybe that would work for you?