Spaghetti Carbonara

Spaghetti Carbonara

Tomorrow, I’ll be telling you all about how I jogged for the first time on Saturday.

Today, I’ll be telling you about the reason why I felt it necessary to jog on Saturday.

It was a very delicious reason.  Something I’ve been wanting to make for a very long time, but especially in the last several months.  See, I watched a lot of Food Network while I was in the hospital this past fall.  Because when I’m on a “clear liquids” diet, I feel the urge to torture myself with hour after hour of food-centric television.

There was this one commercial for “The Best Thing I Ever Made” and regardless of whether or not it’s what she was cooking, I convinced myself in my drug-induced and food-less haze that Anne Burrell was making carbonara.  Whether or not she was, I haven’t the slightest.  I was just sure of it at the time.  And the idea of making it when I got out of the joint buried itself in my brain, to surface every so often.

Finally, with some leftover bacon in the fridge, I decided the time had come.  Carbonara would no longer be just a culinary fantasy.

Ohhhh boy.  Where has this been all my life? Creamy and full of bacony, cheesy flavor.  Diet food it is not.  But delicious it most certainly is.

Ingredients for Spaghetti Carbonara

Have your ingredients prepped in advance because once the pasta is ready, everything comes together very quickly.  Heat up the frying pan as the pasta water is coming to a rolling boil.  Mix the egg and cheese in the serving bowl while the bacon and pasta are cooking.  You want to mix the egg with the pasta while the pasta is still hot in order for the egg to cook.  It’s one thing after another.  So preparation is key.

But once all the quick work is over, it’s time to relax enjoy.  Because you deserve it and, besides, you’re gonna work out later, right? ;)

Sharing with CraftOManicIt’s So Very CheriMaking The World CuterC.R.A.F.T.The Girl CreativeAdd a PinchMrs. Happy HomemakerHome Savvy A to Z, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, Everything Under the Moon, The Southern Institute, A Southern FairytaleMad in CraftsSkip To My LouDelightfully Dowling, Lines Across My Face, Ladybug BlessingsTip Junkie, Home Stories A to Z, Giggles, Glitz & Glam, Raising 4 PrincessesAll The Small StuffSugar Bee CraftsA Bowl Full of LemonsChef in Training, I’m Topsy TurvyNot Just a HousewifeBalancing Beauty and BedlamHope StudiosReasons To Skip The Housework, Funky Polkadot Giraffe33 Shades of Green, The Shady Porch, Lady Behind The Curtain, Sugar and Dots, Trendy Treehouse, NewlywedsThis Chick CooksJunk In Their Trunk, A Turtle’s Life For Me, Bear Rabbit Bear, Delightful Order, A Little Nosh Fireflies and JellybeansSomewhat SimpleIt’s A Keeper, Rattlebridge Farm, Tatertots and Jello

Oh, I might have to try this. For lunch today. I don’t think it can wait any longer. I’m swooning over here and it’s pasta!!

Spaghetti Carbonara is one of our family’s favorite dishes…and in a family of pasta and cheese addicts that is really saying something! The first time we made it, my hubby and I looked at each other and said, “Why haven’t we done this before?!?”

Mostly, it was because Carbonara just sounds like one of those really complicated things that people don’t make at home – they order it at Olive Garden or wherever it is they get their Italian food fix. Happily, it is as simple as it is yummy!

Food is great motivation for running! Always works for me. And, pasta is one of my best motivators. I love how simple and fabulous this dish is.

Oh yum! I absolutely love Spaghetti Carbonara. I would go jogging every day if it meant I got to read this all the time!

Seriously, dude. And really, when you think about it, it wasn’t too far removed from breakfast – eggs, bacon, cheese. Like an omelet. And the pasta = toast? Right? (Just agree with me)

I love your version because it does not have peas and I am not a fan of peas. I have just pinned this and will be trying it as soon as I can get all the ingredients. I am a new Twitter follower visiting from Sumo’s Sweet Stuff. Vicky from Mess For Less

Right? Who wants peas in carbonara? It’s not like they’re making it any more healthy. ;) Thanks so much for coming over, I’ll be visiting you as well! :)

I’ve been wanting to make this for a while, but the thought of an EGG in my pasta kinda grosses me out! :-) I’m trying to get past it because I just know it will be delicious!

You know what, that’s what stopped me all this time, too. I was like “Egg? Pasta? Yuck!”. But you would never, ever know it’s egg that’s making it so creamy. Scout’s honor!

Hey Jen! Can I just say taht I love that you used bacon instead of pancetta? I have such a hard time finding it in my area and when I can find it, it is crazy expensive. Thank you for sharing over at Weekend Potluck. I just shared with everyone on facebook. I’m thinking I’m gonna have to have this for supper one night this week! :)

This sounds delicious, however, the egg….is it raw? I’m not sure how it fits in already in the serving bowl and everything tossed on top. I’m not sure about eating a raw egg. Correct me if I’m wrong, please. :)
Thanks,
Sandra in NM*

As stated in the post, the heat from the pasta and the hot water in which you boiled the pasta cook the egg. So it’s imperative that the pasta be literally straight out of the pot when you mix everything together. After all, many people eat eggs over easy, right? And the egg is not set, but it is cooked. However, if it bothers you this probably isn’t the dish for you. It might be delicious but nothing’s worth the worry!

I apologize if my comment offended. I absolutely overlooked the statement where you said the egg should be prepared while the noodles are cooking so as to cook the egg. Again, I’m sorry.