Deconstructed Pierogi

I’ve been craving comfort food lately – had you noticed? I mean, the homemade pasta, the ultra-meaty and rich bolognese, the braised onions to go in my stew.  Yeah.  Comfort city, kids.

And here’s another example of the sort of food that makes me wanna curl up under a Snuggie (yeah, I said Snuggie) with a bowl and dive on in.  A really big bowl.

Ever since I was little my mom has made this dish – what’s better, it’s something her mother made.  I love the idea of carrying on tradition like that.  Until I started making my own pierogi, the ingredients seemed sort of disjointed to me – I mean, who combines macaroni, cottage cheese and sauteed onions? Um, Polish people who make pierogi, that’s who.  I had the big revelatory moment while making a batch.  One of my favorite meals, one I ask my mom to make on my birthday, is merely deconstructed pierogi.  And boy, is it comforting.  I could eat it every day.

Seriously.  It’s ridiculous i a way that only really good food can be.

I added a little touch of my own, by the way.  The crumbled bacon lends a whole new level of texture and flavor.  Of course you don’t have to add it – I just happened to have a couple of pieces left over from breakfast the day I made this!

Stupid easy, isn’t it? But the flavors meld so well – I promise you, you can’t go wrong with this.  It grosses my husband out when I eat it, but he just doesn’t know what he’s missing.

What’s your favorite comfort food?

Sharing with A Southern Fairytale, Skip to My LouFrugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker, Balancing Beauty and Bedlam, 33 Shades of Green, All The Small Stuff, At The WellRook No. 17, House of Hepworths, Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, Designs by Gollum, Simply Sweet Home & 504 Main – be sure to stop by and check out all of the awesomeness!

I need to try this! I'm all about the comfort food these days and we love pierogis. Thanks for the idea!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks

Anything with butter and bacon is good in my book. This sounds good to me 🙂

This sounds delicious. I always see stuff 'deconstructed' but would never have thought of this.

I'm sending this recipe along to my daughter!

And bacon? I am soooo totally in!

Ok. First I think it's adorable that you're pictures have you're personal watermark. And I also think you're amazing for doing this blog. You have no idea. That being said…I get pierogis, I get polish food…I don't get pasta and cottage cheese. I don't think I can…I mean I can't even say it out loud. I have a sensitive gag reflex when it comes to cottage cheese. If it doesn't have apple butter, I don't really go near it. But I really want this dish based on the picture! Let's have a pot luck reunion and you bring this.

I never would've thought to put cottage cheese and pasta together, but you make it sound so good!

Wow, Jen, talk about comfort food, this is it! Thanks for sharing. Love it that this recipe is a family tradition. gonna start this tradition in my family. Stopping by for Mouthwatering Monday. blessings on your day!

Classy Career Girl

That looks delicious!! Yummy! Stopping by from SITS! Love your elevator pitch!

1 question. Did
Did you drain the cottage cheese? I recently returned from a shopping trip to Poland (POTTERY) and was able to fall in love with pierogis!

Delene – thanks for the question. I did not drain the cottage cheese because otherwise the dish would turn out pretty dry. Yes, there's butter, but really not enough for all that pasta.

This looks delicious! I'm half Polish and LOVE pierigi's! Total comfort food for sure. My Mom and I make every year.

Interesting. . . I don't have anything that comes close to this in my recipe file. I'm always looking for new ones, so I'm bookmarking it! Thanks for sharing, stopping by from HofH.
Jen
Scissors & Spatulas

Michele Chastain

Love the entire concept!! I think my hubby & son (both really big on pierogies) would enjoy this. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Jen,
Deconstructed sounds like constructed to me…it looks amazing and I am all about the Snuggie and big bowl. Thank you so much for bringing your Deconstructed Pierogi to Full Plate Thursday for us to enjoy and please come back!

I tried pierogi for the first time when I was in Krakow a few months ago and loved it. I'm not sure how I would go making this myself but I might give it a go.

Looks and sounds delicious. And bacon is optional, so I can skip it as I am vegetarian. Thank you for sharing this easy recipe.
Happy Valentine's Day!

Jenn Erickson

Awesome! What a totally original and creative approach to pierogi. I love it! The bacon really took it over the top! So glad you joined the party at Rook No. 17 and hope you'll be back to treat us to more of your creativity again! Jenn