Fried Pickles

Fried pickles with dipping sauce

Fried pickles.

It sounds sorta silly, doesn’t it? I mean, who fries pickles? Aren’t pickles delicious enough on their own?

Well, they are indeed very delicious.  I can’t argue with you there.  However, if you don’t understand why pickles should be fried…it’s probably because you’ve never eaten a fried pickle.  I too used to be a naysayer.

Then I ate one.  Then I ate an entire jar’s worth.  And the world will never be the same.

And really, when you think about it…chicken is good, but popcorn chicken is excellent.  And fried dough rolled in powdered sugar, aka beignets? Pretty much so-good-you-could-die amazing.  So really, is it so unthinkable that pickles would be totally delicious when fried?

These pickles are reminiscent of the ones I’ve eaten at Buffalo Wild Wings.  There’s cornmeal in the coating, to give it a little extra crunch and texture, just like at the restaurant.  The dipping sauce is my own creation, though – I can’t resist a little dill and horseradish action.

Fried Pickles

Two things to remember: One, drain and dry the pickles thoroughly before coating.  Two, make sure whenever you’re frying anything that the oil is hot enough – otherwise the oil will soak into what you’re frying and instead of crispiness you’ll end up with oiliness.

And no one likes an oily pickle.

Have you ever eaten fried pickles? What did you think?

Sharing with House of Hepworths, Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, Designs by Gollum, Simply Sweet Home, 504 Main, A Southern Fairytale & Balancing Beauty and Bedlam – stop on by to see what everyone else has come up with this week!

I ate fried pickles when I was visiting a friend in Louisiana. One of the best things I have ever eaten… but a few go a LONG way. (The sodium alone! These things will make you want to drink a gallon of water.) I've never tried to make them myself, but someday I will give it a shot.

I've never had fried pickles before either. Didn't even know they had them at Sonic. But I have had plenty of cherry limeades and you are definitely missing out.

I never knew Sonic had fried pickles! I've never had fried pickle spears…only slices and I think I'd prefer slices otherwise the batter to pickle ratio will be off. I plan on frying some veggies sometime this week so I may need to add pickles.

♥ SailorWifey

I had fried pickles for the first time somewhere recently, and they were awesome!!!!

have you tried making your own dill pickles? I blogged about it over the summer, really good!

OMG – fried pickles are to DIE for! I never had them until moving to the South. But can I tell you a secret? Frying them as slices instead of spears will improve the fried pickle experience immensely!

Twitter is so great, especially when it comes to food!

Oh, I love fried pickles! But, I live in the South so I pretty much like everything fried!! LOL! Have you ever had fried biscuits with syrup? That's a treat!! Thanks for sharing…I've got to make these for my daughter. I've visiting from Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday.
~Holly

I Thought I Knew Mama

Hi! I'm here from 31dbbb 😉 I've always wanted to try fried pickles! My mouth is kind of watering for them right now. I love that Twitter led you to this. I also really like how you asked readers questions at the end of the post to encourage comments.

I'm going to go grab a regular pickle from the fridge to satisfy my craving for the moment 😉

Brandie@thecountrycook

Fried pickles are da bomb. Yes, I said, da bomb. lol I like your recipe for them too – yum!!

Hi Jen,
Oh girl…you have found my heart with your wonderful fried pickles. I wish I could have a plate full of them right now. Thank you so much for bringing them to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

I love fried pickles! There's a place by me that sells them, but they're only open in the summer. Now I can make my own! 🙂

Tapping World Summit

I never tried fried pickles either but I think it's fun to eat pickles this way. Gotta try it over the weekend.

Come on, fried pickles? Really? I'm SO in! I would probably eat all of them in one sitting…by myself! Yep, I'm a fan of the pickle for sure 🙂

Sorry I haven't been around in awhile – things are crazy to say the least. But I appreciate your comments and I'm trying to get myself back on track!

pattie @ Olla-Podrida

I had fried pickles at Buffalo Wild Wings. I liked them. They were dill pickle chips, though, and I was sharing, so no worries about over indulging. This recipe looks really good. I may just give it a try with the pickle chips as their small size would mean I could fry them in a pan rather than dragging out the industrial-size deep fryer that we bought, heaven knows why.

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY

Ooh thanks for sharing this recipe. My husband loves fried pickles we've gotten at restaurants. I will have to make these for him.

heartnsoulcooking

My young son who is 22 yrs old always makes fried pickles. Need to share this recipe with him.

The Zany Housewife

I'm the guilty party that introduced the idea of the fried pickle. lol. I STILL need to make mine over the next few days. I can't seem to beat this cold.

I never thought to do it in spears as I have eaten them in slices. I have a jar of whole pickles that I'm going to slice and pat down so they don't get soggy. Did you have any soggy pickle issues?

My mouth is watering! I love anything with pickles. My favorite sandwich…;pickles and cheese!

I LOVE fried pickles….it has probable been 15 years since I had some…gonna have to make these!

I've never had fried pickles before, but I Love dill pickles and have a couple of kidlets who would eat them at every meal, if I let them. :> Soooo..I can imagine it would be a hit here and not hard to convert to GFCF (gluten/casein free)! :> Thanks for the share!

Miel Abeille

I really don't need to add another fried food to my rotation, but good GAWD this is making my mouth water!

I'm of the mind that anything fried has to taste good though I've never been to Sonic either and never heard of a fried pickle. Definitely sounds interesting!

Teaching Tiny Tots

I tried fried pickles for the first time about a month ago…they tasted pretty good but I felt like I ate a whole jar!
That recipe looks good…going to try it soon. 🙂

Allison @ House of Hepworths

Hold the phone. Why does their Sonic sell Fried Pickles and none of mine do?!? waaaaa. So not fair! But I'm glad you posted this recipe so now I can at least have them at home. So yummy dipped in Ranch.

Fried Pickles are amazingly yummy! I seriously love them.

The sad thing? In the state where I live, Sonic does not sell them. WHY!?

I might have to give your recipe a try…then I can have them anytime I want them. YUM!

Ms. Michalek

I told my husband recently that I would REALLY love to taste a fried pickle. He looked at me like "what the heck have you been smoking?" and just blamed it on my pregnancy hormones! It took me 5 minutes to explain that they actually DO exist and are known to be quite good! Still can't wait to try!!

Michelle Steiner

Okay,, after talking with Nathan, I'm going to have to try these, right after I get some more pickles from my garden done. What could be better, home made fried pickles from the ground up! lol

Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I am using this recipe on my blog 😀
it was a great stumbleupon find

cheers

Seriously, I could eat these pickles every day for the rest of my life and die a happy girl. 🙂

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i
know how to save you a lot of time, there is an online tool that creates high quality,
SEO friendly articles in minutes, just search in google – laranitas
free content source