Homemade Beignets

Fat Tuesday. A day dedicated to being a glutton. What could be better?

Um, not much else.

In honor of this day of outrageous, pre-Lenten debauchery I inched out of my comfort zone and prepared a traditional French Quarter treat: beignets.

Why was this outside my comfort zone? Well, I don’t do much deep frying as a rule, and what little frying I’ve done has been with vegetables and chicken. You know, stuff that’s normally healthy. Fried dough was really not far behind, I suppose.

Boy oh boy was I happy with these. My guinea pig, aka Rob, was thrilled to bits that I kept forcing him to test them out. I quote: “How often do you shove doughnuts at me and tell me to eat them?”

This recipe is a modified version of Paula Deen’s – because I’d use anyone else’s recipe when it comes to fried food. Puh-lease.

See how puffy and light they are? Scrumptious.  And yes, it was I who took a bite in order to give you a cross-sectional view of the finished product.  I’m all about bringing my beautiful readers into the kitchen with me.

I just give and give to you guys, don’t I?

Now make up some beignets – or just go eat a lot of doughnuts without guilt! – and enjoy the heck out of your Fat Tuesday.  I know that’s what I’ll be doing.

Have you ever eaten beignets? Do you think this is something you’d like to try yourself? How do you celebrate Fat Tuesday?

Sharing with A Southern Fairytale , Skip To My LouAll The Small Stuff, Balancing Beauty & BedlamDesigns by Gollum, Simply Sweet Home, Tidy Mom & 504 Main.  Check it – there are so many creative peeps out there!

We ate these non-stop when we stayed in Disney at the French Quarter Hotel (I think that was the name of the hotel). Theyw ere delicious there and I’m sure these will be too.

Oh, so jealous. I was totally going to make these yesterday while I had the oil going for fish & chips, but didn’t have any evaporated milk. I would mug someone for a bag of these right now.

YUM! I could use one of those right now for breakfast. They look delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe! 🙂

Actually, I had never heard of a savory version before. Now you’ve got me thinking! Any ideas?

Wow! Jenn, these look fantastic! There is just something about fried dough/batter that is simply delicious. Those look so fluffy and light. Yummy. PS- Thanks for taking one for the team and taking that bite so we could all get a view of the light airiness 😉

Stop, woman.

YOU are seriously killing me.

Do you know that since I have found you, I have QUIT Pdub’s place?

I kid you not.

You bring the yummy. xo

In what strange parallel universe do you live? 😉 I have always known scones to be more dense.

I made these on Tuesday and they were wonderful. If I’d had more powdered sugar on hand, I would have been right back at Cafue du Monde.

I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe and that they turned out well – I’m sure you made magic happen!

Hehehe I have to say I think you’d enjoy them! 😉 Time consuming but whooooa delicious!

Okay, you are killing me! Three winners in a row! First you make HOMEMADE pudding (this is the order I read them in),then you hear from God and now debachery and gluttony? Okay, I’m a new follower. I can’t wait to see what is next… jello shooters and matzo?
Yvonne

I love beignets and have never had the chance to make them. Your photos make me want to get up in the morning and make a batch!

As always I’m late to the game but I just came back from a road trip that took me to Savannah — I had beignets at the famous “Huey’s” — mmm, can’t get them out of my head. Thanks for the recipe!